[b][/b]

Sunday, November 21, 2004

The Hellish holidays

Grinchy holiday wishes! Don’t you just love the holidays- the avalanche of junk mail (Ok, junk mail is my secret shame, I love the catalogues, especially the toy ones), the crush at the shopping centers (Malls for our overseas friends), the inescapable stomach churning renditions of Christmas carols, the glazed look in Gift shopper’s eyes as they wander aimlessly from one cheesy Christmas display to another?
By now you are thinking I am a Scrooge, but no I actually really like the holidays and pretty much any holiday at that! It’s just that the Christmas season does strange things to people. For 3 working days holiday you see people ransacking the supermarket for enough goods to see them through a holocaust. People putting themselves into hock, to buy someone they might not even like something that they probably won’t want.
But on the lighter side of things- I do love the decorations! They are a glitter bug’s delirium. Mind you there isn’t a lot on offer for the ghoulish celebration, so this year I have contributed “holiday bats” with little red hats and grim wishes printed on their wings- you can check them out at Ghoulie Babies and Glamour vamps.
This year I am also opening the grotto to host the family Christmas celebrations- I think the glitter and tinsel finally got to me- Which is a little nerve wracking post invitation!! But I figure I will throw myself into it with the sort of gay abandon only a glitter addled mind can deliver.
I also can’t resist reflecting on Christmas past. The shrieks of delight at 5am to see that Santa had been (Ok, that was only last year….); My mother starting to cook Christmas lunch at 10am, Visiting the relatives who gathered at my grandmothers house just next door, Cranberry sauce (which in my opinion should be one of the food groups) and a couple of the most prized childhood gifts- the 1970’s Barbie Town house and a ventriloquist doll, both of which I am still carting around.

Anyway prepare- for the fat man cometh, breaking into houses via the chimney in his big black vinyl and monster fur suit and storm trooper boots and zooming across the night sky in a hearse full of naughty pixies pulled by 6 thundering nightmares!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Log Directory