[b][/b]

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Mr Black Bird V's Miss Jeannie Kitty Princess

There is an on going turf war in our courtyard between Miss Jeannie Kitty Princess and Mr Black bird and family. Mostly this rears its ugly head in the season of Birdie Amore when Black Bird and co move back into our tiny courtyard to nest. Miss Jeannie who is generally a house cat, but does occasionally peruse the courtyard is suddenly enemy number 1 and Mr Black bird starts in on her morning noon and night ; he will even go as far as to screech at her from the other side of the glass sliding door.
This year has been just as insane as the previous, which surprised me as I could have sworn there weren’t any nests in our garden. I was thinking it was a bit rich attaching Kitty when you weren’t even residing at her address. That was until I did a little watering (actually it was more like mouth to mouth resuscitation in our 37C heat). Low and behold the Black Bird family has left me agog at their latest feat of architectural ingenuity- this year they have built a summer house in a small pot that I covered with aluminum flashing and screwed to the fence. They merely pushed the geranium already occupying the pot to one side and got busy with some garden mulch and mud. Frankly the nest is almost wider than the circumference of the pot, so it must have been a full house.
I have to say I love it (nests are fascinating) and now that they have abandoned it – rebuilding in the honey suckle I think for their second sitting (Black birds don’t reuse their nests) I think I will put a dolly in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Log Directory